First Communion Sacramental Prep
Contact Person: Mrs. Frances T. Toups
2021-22 REVISED Schedule of Classes
for Religious Education and Sacramental Prep Classes
Available Prayer Appointments (January - early February)
for 2021-22 First Communion Candidates
are now linked above!
Parents of First Communion children must also schedule Prayer Appointments for their First Communion Candidates.
To view available dates/times for Prayer Appointments, click on the link above.
Call, text, or email Mrs. Frances to schedule three (or four or five) appointments.
(Parents are encouraged to read her suggestions which were provided at Parent Meeting #1 in October.)
NOTE 1: It is not unusual for an older child to enroll in the Sacramental preparation program for First Holy Confession and First Holy Communion. However, candidates who desire to receive the Sacraments must also attend age-appropriate Religious Education classes. Please call the Church Parish Office (937-6888) if you have any questions regarding our Sacramental programs and/or Religious Education programs.
NOTE 2: In all situations below, some home study will be required in order to memorize traditional prayers and Sacred Teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. A link to suggestions which help in this process is found in NOTE 3 below. Click here to view our First Communion Prayer Sheet (containing Grade 1 and Grade 2 prayers).
NOTE 3: Regardless of a candidate's age, he/she should abide by the dress code for the administration of the Sacraments of Confession and Communion set forth by our pastor. A handout containing details regarding dress code for the Sacraments and suggestions for Prayer Appointments is linked here.
NOTE 4: If/When we begin rehearsing music for First Communion Mass, candidates may use this music liturgy planning sheet to review the music for First Communion Mass. (From year to year, music may be updated.)
An Overview of our First Communion Program
First Communion Candidates in Grade 2 and older First Communion Candidates in Grades 3-5 gather for Sacramental Preparation classes in the Religious Education classrooms from 6:00-7:00 p.m. on Thursday evenings. In addition, a parent must attend two Sacramental Prep Parent Meetings during the year to review the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) and the Sacrament of Eucharist (Communion). Those meeting dates as well as class dates for the candidates may be viewed using the link at the top of this webpage. When a candidate must be absent from a Thursday night Sacramental Prep class, the work must be made up. Links to make-up packets for Thursday night classes are provided at the bottom of this webpage. (Links to make-up packets for Elementary Religious Education Sunday Sessions for Grades 1-5 are provided on the Elementary Religious Education page of this website.)
Older First Communion Candidates in Grades 6-12 meet with Mrs. Frances in weekly, after-school classes. She typically contacts the parents of those children and teens in September to schedule those classes, however, parents are welcome to call at any point of the school year to gather information and attempt to begin the preparation process. Parents of these older candidates must also attend two Sacramental Prep Parent Meetings during the year to review the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) and the Sacrament of Eucharist (Communion). Click on the "Registration Packet" link in the paragraph above to view those dates.
Reminders: Candidates who desire to receive the Sacraments must also enroll in age-appropriate Religious Education classes. Follow the link at the top of this page to view, download, and/or print our current registration packet.
Home Study and/or Make-Up Packets
(for Thursday night Sacramental Prep class Absences)
Current First Communion candidates who are in our Sacramental Prep home study program or candidates who were absent for a class may view and print make-up packets by clicking on the links below.
(1) The last page of each packet must be signed by a parent/guardian and returned to Mrs. Frances as soon as possible.
(2) All dates listed below are scheduled in the current school year.
(3) Candidates in Grade 2 (or older candidates in Grades 3-5) must also attend Elementary Sunday Sessions and the Elementary Summer Religion Program (and make up any absences using Mrs. Frances' make-up packets which are linked to the Elementary Religious Education page of this website).
(4) Older Sacramental prep candidates in Grades 6-12 must attend their religious education classes (EDGE, ToB, or IGNITE) and make up absences at EDGE or IGNITE! classes if/when they are provided by their program leaders.
Make-Up Packets for First Communion Sacramental Prep Classes
- Welcome Session (REVISED date: Thursday, October 21, 2021; same night and time as Parent Meeting #1 to review the Sacrament of Reconciliation; 6:30-7:30 p.m.; everyone gathers in and departs from the church parish hall)
- Confession Class 1 (Thursday, November 4, 2021; 6-7 p.m.)
- Confession Class 2 (Thursday, November 18, 2021; 6-7 p.m.)
- Confession Class 3 (Thursday, December 2, 2021; 6-7 p.m.)
- Confession Class 4 (Thursday, December 16, 2021; 6-7 p.m.)
- Confession Class 5 (omitted this year)
- This packet is not yet complete. It will be linked ASAP.
Communion Classes: Some of the "Communion Class" make-up packets (below) will be tweaked because we will use a different DVD to help us review the Mass with the canddidates. As soon as those packets are edited and linked, the packets below will be ready for use and this red message will be deleted.
- Church Tour for First Communion Candidates (Thursday, January 13, 2022; same night and time as Parent Meeting #2 to review the Sacrament of Eucharist; 6:30-7:30 p.m.; everyone gathers in and departs from the church parish hall)
- Communion Class 1 (Thursday, January 27, 2022; 6-7 p.m.)
- Communion Class 2 (Thursday, February 10, 2022; 6-7 p.m.)
- Communion Class 3 (Thursday, February 24, 2022; 6-7 p.m.)
- Communion Class 4 (Thursday, March 10, 2022; 6-7 p.m.)
- Communion Class 5 (Thursday, March 24, 2022; 6-7 p.m.)
- This packet is not yet complete. It will be linked ASAP.
Retreats before receiving the Sacraments:
- All candidates must attend the First Confession retreat (Thursday, April 7).
- There is no make-up packet for this retreat. If your child was absent on the day of the retreat, please contact Mrs. Frances to schedule a make-up retreat as soon as possible.
- All candidates must attend one of two First Communion retreats (Saturday, April 9, or Saturday, April 23).
- There is no make-up packet for this retreat. If your child was absent on the day of the retreat and/or First Communion Mass, please contact Mrs. Frances to schedule a make-up retreat or First Communion as soon as possible.
- Both of the First Communion retreats will include First Confessions for candidates who are present on that particular date.
Our current Schedule of Classes and Registration Packet may be viewed, downloaded, and/or printed by clicking the appropriate link at the top of this webpage.