Contact Person: Mrs. Frances T. Toups
NOTE 1: It is not unusual for an older child to enroll in the Sacramental preparation program for First Holy Confession and First Holy Communion. However, candidates who desire to receive the Sacraments must also attend age-appropriate Religious Education classes. Please call the Church Parish Office (937-6888) if you have any questions regarding our Sacramental programs and/or Religious Education programs.
NOTE 2: In all situations below, some home study will be required in order to memorize traditional prayers and Sacred Teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. A link to suggestions which help in this process is found in NOTE 3 below. Click here to view our First Communion Prayer Sheet (containing Grade 1 and Grade 2 prayers).
NOTE 3: Regardless of a candidate's age, he/she should abide by the dress code for the administration of the Sacraments of Confession and Communion set forth by our pastor. A handout containing details regarding dress code for the Sacraments and suggestions for Prayer Appointments is linked here.
NOTE 4: As we begin rehearsing music for First Communion Mass, candidates may use this music liturgy planning sheet to review the music for First Communion Mass. (From year to year, music may be updated.)
First Communion Candidates in Grade 2 and older First Communion Candidates in Grades 3-5 gather for Sacramental Preparation classes in the Religious Education classrooms from 6:00-7:00 p.m. on Thursday evenings. In addition, a parent must attend two Sacramental Prep Parent Meetings during the year to review the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) and the Sacrament of Eucharist (Communion). Those meeting dates as well as class dates for the candidates may be viewed on our current Schedule of Classes. When a candidate must be absent from a Thursday night Sacramental Prep class, the work must be made up. Links to make-up packets for Thursday night classes are provided at the bottom of this webpage. (Links to make-up packets for Elementary Religious Education Sunday Sessions for Grades 1-5 are provided on the Elementary Religious Education page of this website.)
Older First Communion Candidates in Grades 6-12 meet with Mrs. Frances in after-school classes. She will contact the parents of those children and teens in September to schedule those classes. Parents of these older candidates must also attend two Sacramental Prep Parent Meetings during the year to review the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) and the Sacrament of Eucharist (Communion). Click on the "schedule of classes" link in the paragraph above to view those dates.
Reminders: Candidates who desire to receive the Sacraments must also enroll in age-appropriate Religious Education classes. View our 2019-20 Registration Packet here.
Home Study and/or Make-Up Packets
for Thursday night Sacramental Prep class Absences
Current First Communion candidates who are in our Sacramental Prep home study program or candidates who were absent for a class may view and print make-up packets by clicking on the links below. NOTES: (1) The last page of each packet must be signed by a parent/guardian and returned to Mrs. Frances as soon as possible. (2) All dates listed below are scheduled in the 2016-17 school year. (3) Sunday Session make-up packets for candidates in Grades 2-5 will be linked to this page as soon as possible.
- NOTE: Candidates in Grade 2 (or older candidates in Grades 3-5) must also make up Sunday Session absences using Mrs. Frances' make-up packets which are linked to the Elementary Religious Education page of this website.
- NOTE: Older Sacramental prep candidates in Grades 6-12 must make up absences at EDGE or IGNITE! classes if/when they are provided by their program leaders.
- Welcome Session (Thursday, October 10, 2019; same night and time as Parent Meeting #1 to review the Sacrament of Reconciliation; 6:30-7:30 p.m.)
- Confession Class 1 (Thursday, October 24, 2019; 6-7 p.m.)
- Confession Class 2 (Thursday, November 7, 2019; 6-7 p.m.)
- Confession Class 3 (Thursday, November 21, 2019; 6-7 p.m.)
- NOTE: A link to the dress code for First Confession and First Communion is provided at the top of this page.
- Confession Class 4 (Thursday, December 12, 2019; 6-7 p.m.)
All candidates must attend the First Confession retreat (Thursday, January 9, 2020). There is no make-up packet for this retreat. If your child was absent on the day of the retreat, please contact Mrs. Frances to schedule a make-up retreat as soon as possible.
- Communion Class 1 (Thursday, January 30, 2020; same night and time as Parent Meeting #2 to review the Sacrament of Eucharist; 6:30-7:30 p.m.)
- Communion Class 2 (Thursday, February 20, 2020; 6-7 p.m.)
- Communion Class 3 (Thursday, March 5, 2020; 6-7 p.m.)
- Communion Class 4 (Thursday, March 19, 2020; 6-7 p.m.)
- First Communion Rehearsal (Thursday, April 2, 6-7 p.m.); no make-up packet
All candidates must attend the First Communion retreat on Sunday morning, April 19, 2020 (the same day as the First Communion Mass and Reception). There is no make-up packet for this retreat. If your child was absent on the day of the retreat and First Communion Mass, please contact Mrs. Frances to schedule a make-up retreat as soon as possible.