Contact Person: Mrs. Frances T. Toups
Families who desire First Communion Sacramental Prep for their child(ren)
will find First Communion and Religious Education information in our
(includes Class Schedules for SPARK Elementary Sunday Sessions and Summer Religion Program
as well as First Communion Prep classes, EDGE/ToB middle school classes,
IGNITE high school classes, and Grade 11 Confirmation activities)
Available Prayer Appointments
for Spring 2021 First Communion Candidates
Parents of First Communion children must also schedule Prayer Appointments for their First Communion Candidates.
To view available dates/times for Prayer Appointments, click on the link above.
Call or email Mrs. Frances to schedule three (or four or five) appointments.
(Parents are encouraged to read her suggestions on the back side of the First Communion Schedule of Activities
which is included in the Spring 2021 Registration Packet.)
NOTE 1: It is not unusual for an older child to enroll in the Sacramental preparation program for First Holy Confession and First Holy Communion. However, candidates who desire to receive the Sacraments must also attend age-appropriate Religious Education classes. Please call the Church Parish Office (937-6888) if you have any questions regarding our Sacramental programs and/or Religious Education programs.
NOTE 2: In all situations below, some home study will be required in order to memorize traditional prayers and Sacred Teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. A link to suggestions which help in this process is found in NOTE 3 below. Click here to view our First Communion Prayer Sheet (containing Grade 1 and Grade 2 prayers).
NOTE 3: Regardless of a candidate's age, he/she should abide by the dress code for the administration of the Sacraments of Confession and Communion set forth by our pastor. A handout containing details regarding dress code for the Sacraments and suggestions for Prayer Appointments is linked here.
NOTE 4: If/When we begin rehearsing music for First Communion Mass, candidates may use this music liturgy planning sheet to review the music for First Communion Mass. (From year to year, music may be updated.)
An Overview of our First Communion Program
First Communion Candidates in Grade 2 and older First Communion Candidates in Grades 3-5 gather for Sacramental Preparation classes in the Religious Education classrooms from 6:00-7:00 p.m. on Thursday evenings. In addition, a parent must attend two Sacramental Prep Parent Meetings during the year to review the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) and the Sacrament of Eucharist (Communion). Those meeting dates as well as class dates for the candidates may be viewed using the link at the top of this webpage. When a candidate must be absent from a Thursday night Sacramental Prep class, the work must be made up. Links to make-up packets for Thursday night classes are provided at the bottom of this webpage. (Links to make-up packets for Elementary Religious Education Sunday Sessions for Grades 1-5 are provided on the Elementary Religious Education page of this website.)
Older First Communion Candidates in Grades 6-12 meet with Mrs. Frances in after-school classes. She typically contacts the parents of those children and teens in September to schedule those classes, however, parents are welcome to call at any point of the school year to gather information and attempt to begin the preparation process. Parents of these older candidates must also attend two Sacramental Prep Parent Meetings during the year to review the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) and the Sacrament of Eucharist (Communion). Click on the "schedule of classes" link in the paragraph above to view those dates.
Reminders: Candidates who desire to receive the Sacraments must also enroll in age-appropriate Religious Education classes. Follow the link at the top of this page to view, download, and/or print our current registration packet.
Home Study and/or Make-Up Packets
(for Thursday night Sacramental Prep class Absences)
Current First Communion candidates who are in our Sacramental Prep home study program or candidates who were absent for a class may view and print make-up packets by clicking on the links below.
(1) The last page of each packet must be signed by a parent/guardian and returned to Mrs. Frances as soon as possible. (2) All dates listed below are scheduled in the current school year.
(2) Candidates in Grade 2 (or older candidates in Grades 3-5) must also make up Sunday Session absences using Mrs. Frances' make-up packets which are linked to the Elementary Religious Education page of this website.
(3) Older Sacramental prep candidates in Grades 6-12 must make up absences at EDGE or IGNITE! classes if/when they are provided by their program leaders.
SPRING 2021 Update: Because opportunities to schedule classes were a bit more limited at this point of the school year, we are attempting to "squeeze" five classes of topics into four Confession classes. Although we did have some "review" time in our Confession classes in the past, we'll keep rolling through the five Confession lesson plans this semester. While making up class work with your child, please don't be surprised if he/she says, "We did that in class." If necessary, please download more than one make-up packet in an effort to review what your child has missed during his/her absence.
- Welcome Session (Thursday, January 21, 2021; same night and time as Parent Meeting #1 to review the Sacrament of Reconciliation; 6:30-7:30 p.m.)
- Confession Class 1 (Thursday, February 4, 2021; 6-7 p.m.); class may have also covered some of Confession Class 2 material!
- Confession Class 2 (Thursday, February 4 and/or 18, 2021; 6-7 p.m.); class may have also covered some of Confession Class 3 material!
- Confession Class 3 (Thursday, February 18 and/or March 4, 2021; 6-7 p.m.); class may have also covered some of Confession Class 4 material!
- NOTE: A link to the dress code for First Confession and First Communion is provided at the top of this page.
- Confession Class 4 (Thursday, March 4, 2021; 6-7 p.m.); class may have also covered some of Confession Class 3 material!
- Communion Class 1 (Thursday, March 18; same night and time as Parent Meeting #2 to review the Sacrament of Eucharist; 6:30-7:30 p.m.)
- Communion Class 2 (Thursday, March 28, instead of April 1; 6-7 p.m.); had to reschedule class due to Holy Thursday's Evening Mass of the Lord's Supper!
- Communion Class 3 (Thursday, April 15; 6-7 p.m.)
- Communion Class 4 (Thursday, April 29; 6-7 p.m.)
Retreats before receiving the Sacraments:
- All candidates must attend the First Confession retreat (Thursday, May 6). There is no make-up packet for this retreat. If your child was absent on the day of the retreat, please contact Mrs. Frances to schedule a make-up retreat as soon as possible.
- All candidates must attend one of two First Communion retreats (Saturday, May 8, or Saturday, May 15). Please call Mrs. There is no make-up packet for this retreat. If your child was absent on the day of the retreat and/or First Communion Mass, please contact Mrs. Frances to schedule a make-up retreat or First Communion as soon as possible.